Tony Miller is a lawyer, former prosecutor, small business person, civic activist, and proud father serving on the Jackson County Legislature in the 3rd District At-Large seat, running for reelection.
TONY BELIEVES WE NEED
I grew up in Jackson County, and I continue to call it my home along with my wife and children. I love this county and this state, and I am committed to making Jackson County a great place to live and work. All Jackson County families should feel safe and confident in raising their kids here and I will do everything I can to ensure that. Finally, I am committed to a government that provides effective and efficient services for our taxpayers – with transparency and accountability.
As a legislator for the last seven years, I have been proud to work with my colleagues to accomplish many things; some were mandates, others were by choice. Here are a few examples, and just a snapshot of what we can accomplish when we work together toward common goals:
- Distribution of federal COVID money to residents for rental assistance.
- Distribution of federal COVID money to food banks to feed those in need.
- Working with community-based organizations to distribute P.P.E. (personal protective equipment) to members of the public.
- The creation of a Children’s Services Trust to help kids in need with gaps not covered by state programs.
- Repurposing and sale of old stadium seats to fund special needs playground equipment.
- Completion of the 1st and 2nd Phases of the Rock Island Trail.
- Raising the wages of county workers after conducting a comprehensive wage study.
- Authorizing participation in the Coronavirus Sewershed Surveillance Project to help identify new variants of COVID in our wastewater.
- Refinancing bond debt to save taxpayers millions of dollars.
- Funding the Healthy Eastside Project to educate people about COVID and vaccine options, and planning for the program to continue to promote general health in underserved communities.
- Collaborating with our safety net health providers to make sure that people get access to the healthcare that they need.
- Right-sizing various aspects of county office space allocation and moving toward elimination of outside leases to house county functions, in an effort to save taxpayer funds.
- Partnering with our Regional Arts Council, ARTS KC, to create a comprehensive arts and culture strategic plan for Jackson County.
MOVING FORWARDHere are some of the challenges the county is currently facing:
- Completion of the justice center project, to comply with federal law with regard to the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and all relevant code regulations not currently able to be met in the current facility.
- Maintaining the county parks and resurfacing the roads that run through them.
- Working toward a fleet management system to reduce vehicle costs, while still meeting the many various niche needs of the various departments.
- What should be done with the old Stark School in Blue Summit?
- Renovation of the downtown courthouse.
- What should be done with the Animal Shelter in Independence?
- Is there a way to repurpose abandoned houses (Land Trust properties) into affordable housing?
- Finding ways to leverage state and federal money to undertake road and bridge repair.
- Working to bridge the digital divide through affordable access to broadband.
“It is important to me to receive your input on solutions to these challenges and to identify other issues needing attention. I am committed to working with the community and my colleagues to find the best solutions. I would be honored to have your support and to engage you in my re-election effort.” -Tony
- Born in Iowa and moved to Jackson County, Missouri in 1985.
- Fort Osage High School Class of 1994
- Baker University Class of 1998 (B.A. – Political Science)
- University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law Class of 2001 (J.D.)
- Lived in Kansas City, Missouri – 1998-2010
- Lives in Lee’s Summit, Missouri (Lakewood) – 2010-Present
- Practicing attorney in Kansas City – 2001-Present
- Jackson County Legislator, Third District At Large – 2015-Present
CURRENTLY SERVING ON THE FOLLOWING COMMITTEES:
- Land Use (Chairman)
- Justice & Law Enforcement
- Public Works